Friday, April 5, 2013

Silence was Golden

So, I gave up FB for Lent. It hardly seems a sacrifice in comparison to the 40 days and nights of temptation Jesus endured in the desert.  This is what I observed:

Wow! How nice it was to walk into a mall, movie theatre, come across random people or run into people I know out in the real world and not be shouted at about how they're right and I'm wrong about everything I believe.  There seems to be a tolerance in the real world that I really miss on the internet. 

I feel like every other movie I watched on my hiatus had Denzel Washington in it and Man...he is good!!  What can that man not be a good actor in?!  He had me crying in Flight....John Q...Antwone Fisher...and Philadelphia.  You could probably put him in a comedy with Robin Williams...and I'd cry about something he did in that movie too!

I read my Bible...and how I wished my pages were more worn than they are.  I read devotionals of love, nature, kindness, and peace. 

I stepped out of my thoughts to be silent and listen for a change.  No judgements...no thoughts of persecution...no self righteous indignation....just listened.  No prayer requests...no to do list for God...no wish lists....just didn't feel like talking...I just wanted to be present...

Lamentations 3:28 "Let him sit alone in silence, for the LORD has laid it on him."

I logged into Pinterest... a lot...actually used a few recipes...it's a world for scary brilliant crafty people...like an underworld society for overachieving type A Better Homes and Gardens...Eat your heart out Martha Stewart...cult members ;)  I don't fit in...that's ok...the cult members still like me and let me hang around despite my flaws with Craftyligion.

I realized Asteroids were real...were aimed right at us...hit Russia...and everyone still went about their day.

I cleaned my house...then the kids trashed it again...and repeat...

Most importantly...I let go of some of my resentment toward God.  Awhile back I didn't want to participate in the Lent process....I was angry because I felt as if I had been spent spiritually as to how much more God wanted to sacrifice of me.  I felt like I had no more left to give...my sorrows were just too much already to ask...that the thought of "giving up" anything else made me feel bitter towards him.  What I found though for me during this Lenten season was that it wasn't about sacrifice at all...that was so tiny in the spectrum of things as I mentioned above....what I found was that it was an invitation from Him saying..."Walk with Me."

It was a good walk...


No comments:

Post a Comment