Thursday, April 14, 2011

He Had me at Woof Woof!

Do you ever have that feeling...that hunch that something just isn't like it's supposed to be even if you're told otherwise? Ya know what they say..always go with your gut instinct. Well, I've just been punk'd but I sort of already knew I had been. Awhile back we thought it would be nice to add one last dog to our family and have a friend for Rueger our 55 pound Australian Shepherd/Border Collie. Rueger is a very energetic but very intelligent dog. His breed is for herding so why would we expect him to be none other than energetic? He loves.. loves the dog park and plays with all of the dogs out there which affirmed the desire to get another dog. On my first attempt at the pet adoption agency I really wanted an older dog but was informed that a puppy would be best to introduce to an older dog based on the territorial reasons. I left and thought about it some more. The next week...I'm determined to get a puppy and show back up to the adoption agency with Bryant in tow. All my life...I've had bigger dogs but I really wanted that little dog to carry around like the one Reese Witherspoon has in "Legally Blonde." So, I passed all the charts on the cages that said will be 50lbs or more. We made it to this little cage at the bottom of the row. It was full of little chihuahas and I believed it because that's what the chart said and they all looked small enough. Well, there was this one in the corner that looked a little bigger than the litter but, I just thought maybe it was just the biggest one of the group but still no doubt it will not get to be bigger than 20lbs. Bryant and I did the meet and greet and fell in love with him. He was the one! Interestingly, his paperwork couldn't be found. What they printed out had the wrong information on it other than him being a blonde dog. Oddly, he was the only one out of the litter that had been neutered. I had a funny feeling but still wanted the dog. We took him home that day and whenever anyone asked what kind of dog he was I said chihuaha mix..(well, that's what the paperwork said). I got the same looks and laughs..."Looks a little big to be a chihuaha." Ok, fine...so, he's Clifford the chihuaha...he's mine..and I love him..so it doesn't matter. The Vet came into the exam room and immediately asked me if I had been told he was a chihuaha as he laughed. I said yes I had but I had sensed that he was put into the wrong cage during handling by someone else all along. Well, no doubt, he is definitely not a chihuaha mix but a labrador mix and will most likely be over 20 lbs. More like 40 lbs or so. So, my heart just sank a little thinking it might not be the lap dog I've always wanted but it's too late now because he has my heart. At least my gut feeling was put to rest. Such is life...we may not always get what we think we are getting but isn't it funny how sometimes it turns out better than what we thought we wanted anyway? Dare to embrace the blessings of unexpected outcomes from our expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment