Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Letter from My Brother in Christ

Sometimes I ask myself if I really lean and rely on God during the good times as much as I should. I fall to my knees during the bad times and have nowhere else to go but be totally relying on God during those times. T.D. Jakes said it best.."Faith will get down in the ditch with you, faith will go in the prison with you, fatih will go into divorce court with you, faith will go in the hospital with you, faith will go in the nursing home with you." Yes, but the harder thing to remember for me is that Faith will walk beside me everyday no matter what my circumstance. I take advantage of that. I should be laying things down at the foot of the cross daily before I walk out my door. I need to pray the Lord's Prayer when I have no idea what to pray about or how to. Giving thanks right now for my bus driver in elementary school that taught me the Lord's prayer. Ms. Pearl was her name. The first day I got on her van she handed me a little book. She said to memorize it and everyday before we got off of the little white van at school we all prayed and someone different would say the Lord's Prayer. Not only did she introduce me to the gift of a simple prayer from the Man himself for life she honked that horn til the cows came home to make sure I didn't miss my ride to school in the morning. I'm most reflective today of a letter my dad wrote me. He had never written me a letter before but I was going on a retreat that he had gone on some years before and he wanted me to have as great of an experience as he had on his. The letter I got from my dad was treasured then and it's even more so now. It's the only letter I ever received from him. I won't tell you everything that's in it. He talked about the day I was born and how he'd wear some interesting t-shirts to impress my dates..ex. "Texas, where farting is considered a competetive sport." He was quite entertaining. This one phrase struck me though and it brings me comfort. He wrote the following: "Remember that all things work for the best for those that Love the Lord. No matter how hard things get remember we have that to share, and share eternity together. I love you and I will always love you come rain or come shine. Your loving father and brother in Christ." It just doesn't get any better that that. What else is there to say? A simple phrase that speaks volumes. My brother in Christ. You see, he knew that our relationships on earth were more than just mere blood types. He knew that essentially that's what it came down to...being brothers and sisters in Christ.

1 comment: