Saturday, January 12, 2013

Restorative Art

I have begun another quarter in my Funeral Services studies.  Here's my list...Forensic Pathology, Embalming, Restorative Art, Mortuary Law, and Funeral Merchandising.  All interesting topics.  The one I am intimidated the most by is Restorative Art.  I have never had any art skills whatsoever.  If you think this is just about putting makeup on little old ladies when they pass away...you are wrong.  I wanted to believe this was all that was involved in this process but I knew when I got into this that it wouldn't always be the case.  The restorative art process is essential in providing service for family members that will receive one last viewing of their loved one.  I will leave out a lot of details out of respect.  I will say that it can be a very lengthy process.  Funeral directors are given tasks sometimes with not a whole lot to work with.  This is just a fact of life and death.  They must do their very best to be able to restore for the sake of the decedant's loved ones.  Sometimes, this takes, shaping, molding, special cosmetics, time, etc.
Then, I get to thinking.  Restorative art...hmm...how many times do we throw away our good parts while we are living because we don't want to take the pain staking effort to restore our lives or help restore the lives of others?  How many times do we say, "Oh, that is not my problem, or Oh, that will take way too long?" How many times do we excuse ourselves from lending a helping hand or even a smile because we pass instant judgement? 
I heard someone say recently in reference to a church that caters to mostly recovering addicts that, "The people really loved going there because everywhere else they've gone they have felt judged and turned away." Really?!  I'll never forget the time my husband walked into a church in a little West Texas town wearing a nice shirt and a pair of jeans and to our disappointment the pastor walked up to him and said, "How nice of you to get dressed up for church."  I walked out of church that morning heartbroken but thankfully, I know that Jesus doesn't care if I pray to him in my pajamas or if I wear jeans to church or not. He just wants me to show up for "duty." Others are not so fortunate. What if that had been the first time I had ever gone to church or what if someone's soul needed  more restoring than their pants?  Jesus was not given a crown of jewels on this earth, he was given a crown of thorns, wore sandals, and came from humble means. Just for a side note, my husband works for a church today and no not every church gives out those negative vibes.  I go to a service there and wear jeans loudly and proudly. I have sung  "How Great Thou Art" in my Levi's!
We all have our broken places and know others that are broken. Those places can be ugly.  The scars can be long.  The restorative process can be long, the journey difficult, and sometimes it feels like there isn't a lot to work with, but the art worthwile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment