Wednesday, August 8, 2012

So, How is Funeral Directing School Going?

I am always being asked how school is going?  Yes, funeral directing school.  I always find it awkward when I reply, "It's going well..or great!"  A part of me feels like I should be saying it in a tone that is more reserved or sad since after all, funerals aren't often thought of as happy occasions. While we do pause and celebrate the lives of those we loved that have passed on it is still an emotional area that brings us to tears. The truth is though, I really am enjoying what I'm studying.  I am taking a total of 6 classes right now.  My hardest yet most fascinating one is Anatomy.  I just appreciate the whole intricacies and little details that make up who we are.  I mean, ventricles in the brain and cerebrospinal fluid just mind boggles me that such care and thought went into our creation! Call me weird...I have just a much better appreciation about these things than I did when I was taking biology in HS and College.  My other current favorite class is the Types of Funeral Services and Ceremonies class.  I have so far covered ceremonies of Mormons, Orthodox, Episcopalian, Roman Catholic, Church of Christian Science, and Jewish.  Amazing I say! Just getting a glimpse into the rites these denominations perform has made me realize how much I really just don't know.  While I see that bantering back and forth on social media etc. about how bad any religion is (mostly Christians on social media) I just have to ask myself, "Do people really take the time to get to know someone else's perspective before bashing hate towards anything that affects one's soul?"  Religion practices are medicine for people's soul regardless of what anyone believes in.  There is an invisible line of respect there that I believe is a boundary we must not cross.  My job will allow me the opportunity to console and help people of all different faiths and walks of life.  A funeral is a place where I would never dare to cross a line in suggesting anyone must believe in anything other than what they believe in to get to heaven.  After all, I really don't have any concrete answers. Does anyone?  It is not my place to be dictator of any one's truth.  I have a slew of other funeral rites to study but have found what I've been learning so far to be very humanitarian.  So before we're so sure we know where anyone else is coming from or certain that what anyone believes is "wrong" take a minute and remind ourselves, "we don't really know everything about anything."

4 comments:

  1. So impressed with you. Didn't know you were doing this! Just in case you are ever in Houston...but they have a funeral museum that my husband and I went to when we lived there. For a future funeral director, you might add it to your bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,that is funny you mentioned the museum. The school I go to is connected to it. How neat that you've gone to see it. I need to tour it again since the exhibits have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful Melody:) I like that you also said that religion was medicine for people's souls! What a great way to put it. Being the great questioner that I am, I had finally settled on deism sometime ago, however, my some of my family is not happy with me...but I really appreciate your view. Congrats on the funeral director school. That has to be fascinating. I have seen some of this mentioned on your FB page. Good luck! _Heather Carter Collins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading Heather:) It is definitely a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete