Friday, September 16, 2011

Raspberry Beret and a Lucky Parakeet

The first MTV video I ever remember seeing was, "Mickey" by Toni Basil. "Oh Mickey you're so fine....Hey Mickey!" We didn't have cable so I would usually catch the MTV hysteria at friends homes. Once, when I was in the fourth grade I was hanging out with a friend and we were so excited to watch Prince's "Raspberry Beret" video on MTV. We were singing and dancing along like we silly girls do while her parakeet was screeching in the background to it's own little rhythm. She went to the cage and said, "Hey, let's let him out....to fly around the house for a little." Bewildered, I thought, "Ok, well, that sounds fun...how cute that would be!" The little bird was flying away around the room as we giggled and then in slow motion there went the parakeet into the ceiling fan and around around it went and thudded against the wall. Oh, Dear!! I am the last person on earth who would know anything about parakeet CPR or first aid. My friend and I panicked and rushed to the little bird. Poor parakeet but,....it lived! We were so relieved that it didn't look or act hurt! My friend gently put the bird back in the cage...it began tweeting again and with a sigh of relief we could enjoy all that was Purple Rain and Raspberry again. I cannot listen to Raspberry Beret without it taking me back to the parakeet adventure. We all have our songs, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment